Part I: Oh NO YOU DID NOT!
Yesterday was a tough day. John and I were talking over everything and we suddenly came up with the crazy idea that maybe we'd like to wait 24 more hours before we went in for the induction. We were just curious about what Dr. P would think so we put in a call to his office to ask. He called back later. That's when the crap hit the fan.
He started out by saying that if we waited that we were putting the baby at risk … she could pass her meconium any time now since I'm in my 42nd week (and it doesn't matter if she's stressed or not, it's just a reflex once babies get to a certain age in utero). Since our information didn't conflict with this we agreed with him, but when I challenged him with how beautifully both our non-stress tests went and since the baby was doing so well it probably wouldn't be a big deal to wait one day, he started to get frustrated. He began to list all the stuff he had to do Friday: a surgery in the morning, a c-section in the afternoon, and he HAD to allow for emergency work-ins since it's a HOLIDAY weekend. Because of all that, he wouldn't be available to deliver our baby on Friday. So of course I said, "What about Saturday?" and he practically laughed at me and said, "I WILL NOT schedule you for an induction on a Saturday." My reply to all this? "You know Dr. P, I don't want to offend you, but I don't think your schedule conflicts are really a good reason to induce. Do you have an associate who could deliver our baby instead?"
Of course, he said no. He's got a one-man private practice and he wants the paycheck for delivering the baby. On a side note, he also said that an induction would only take between 12-14 hours total. I've asked around … the usual is closer to 24 hours, which makes me think that Dr. P has a c-section in the back of his mind if I haven't delivered by then. He's got another thing coming if he thinks we're just gonna let him cut me open so he can get home for dinner.
ANYWAY, this was not a good conversation to have with someone who is 9 days past her due date and is not experiencing labor AT ALL. I was so upset all day. I finally got a hold of a friend of mine who is a nurse practicioner in labor and delivery and she agreed with me that Dr. P is a jerkwad, but after we had a long conversation about the benefits vs. the risks I felt a TON better (it doesn't hurt that Ari already has three boys in addition to delivering millions of babies). She said that today when we go to the doctor we have to find out how much I'm dilated, if at all, how much effaced (yeah, Dr. P hasn't been sharing this with us either), and to also try and get an estimate on how big the baby is. After I told her that I was 8 pounds 11 oz and John was 8 pounds 4 oz., it seemed REALLY important to find that out. So that's the plan. We go in at 12:45 for our last checkup armed with a list of questions.
Can you believe this guy??
Part II: (check back later today!!)